I'm not sure why I've been on a Mediterranean food craze lately. Last week is was Tabbouleh and the other day I wanted Falafel. My favorite falafel spot is in Makati called Beni's Falafel. It's a hole in a wall gem found in a small street (Valdez St., Poblacion, Makati). It's actually just beside our restaurant Pink Panda found at the lobby of Y2 Hotel. Since I was no where near Makati that day nor did I have plans of going there, I had to make it myself.
Falafel is very popular in the Middle East as a fast food. Vendors sell it on the street corners in Cairo. As a main dish, it is served as a sandwich, stuffed in pita bread with lettuce, tomatoes, and tahini. As an appetizer, it is served on a salad, or with hummus and tahini. Falafel is a favorite among vegetarians. As a little trivia : In Egypt, McDonald's has their version of a falafel sandwich. Can you guess the name? McFalalel of course! Hahaha! :)
I've tried several recipes from the past, this is a new one I tried;
1 cups dried chickpease or 16 oz. can of garbanzos
1 large onion , chopped
2 cloves of garlic
3 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon cumin
2 tablespoons flour
oil for frying
1. Place dried chickpeas in a bowl, covering with cold water. Allow to soak overnight. Omit this step if using canned beans.
3. Allow to boil for 5 minutes, then let simmer on low for about an hour.
4. Drain and allow to cool for 15 minutes. Option to take out the white "skin" off just like the picture below.
5. Combine chickpeas, garlic, onion, coriander, cumin, salt and pepper (to taste) in medium bowl. Add flour.
6. Mash chickpeas, ensuring to mix ingredients together. You can also combine ingredients in a food processor. You want the result to be a thick paste.
7. Form the mixture into small balls, about the size of a ping pong ball. Slightly flatten.
8. Fry in 2 inches of oil at 350 degrees until golden brown (5-7 minutes).
9. Serve hot.
10. Optional : Garlic Dipping Sauce : Greek yogurt, fresh crushed garlic, salt and pepper
* Serves 4.
* Serves 4.
Happy Monday everybody! Enjoy the holiday!
love and light,