HOMEMADE SPANISH SARDINES
12 pieces of small bangus
1 cup of water
1/2 tsp of seasalt
1 cup of EVOO
1 medium carrot
5 pieces of garlic cloves
4 pieces of bay leaf
1/2 cup of green olives
1/2 cup of cornichons (small pickles)
1/2 tbsp. of vinegar
a few pieces of birds eye chili
- Clean and rinse the bangus.
- At the bottom of your pressure cooker, arrange the olives, carrots, bay lead, peppercorns, chilis, and garlic.
- Layer about 4 pieces of sardines on top and repeat this layering process until you use up all of the bangus.
- Sprinkle the salt evenly on the fish.
- Pour the water and EVOO. Make sure everything is submerged. If not, add more water. Cook for about 30 -45 minutes and then add the vinegar and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Voila! Serve with rice or pandesal!
Hope this inspires you to make your own sardines at home. Tell me about your version and how it turns out. I'd love to hear your stories in the kitchen. It's almost the weekend. Happy Thursday!